08 July 2012

Guest Post: Mrs Ferguson


One of the things I look forward to, aside from coffee and new bedsheets, would be e-mails. One in particular is Mrs Ferguson's. I remember that picture of a Carrot Bundt Cake, I was charmed. Her unique photography style leaves you wanting more and turns you into a stalker. Her creativity keeps you at your toes, reminding you of human evolution. Please take a look at her Gotye Duck (I want this as a hairpin and possibly everything else around me). 

Unfortunately, that's not all there is to Mrs F. Talent is but only a small part of her you're going to adore. With Mrs F, subjects range from Sherlock Holmes to the extinction of ants. Describing her as "Interesting" is an understatement. A ball of wit, no, a gem of inspiration.

Keeping her all to myself is anything but selfish. However, for the greater good of the world, I shall introduce her to you. Please do visit her blog here

Hello there. My name is Diana and I run the blog Mrs Ferguson. I love everything crafty and sweet and funny. I live in Budapest, Hungary and I'm the proud owner of two adorable adopted animals, Theodore the ginger cat and Macesz the derpest dog ever. I started the blog because I was inspired by all those amazing things I saw on Pinterest and such, and wanted to be part of this family. I know I'm a very small fish - which I told Jesi when she asked me to do this guest post, but she wanted to do it anyway -, but I've had some amazing experiences already, and even if for nothing else, but getting to know this lovely, crazy duck-hating lady was well worth it.
Oh, and I AM the cheekiest monkey of all.
J: So, why "Mrs Ferguson"? Can't believe I've never asked this.
D: I'd like to think it's kind of a homage to Craig Ferguson and Stephen Fry rather than just plain stalking. :) I love their wit and intelligence. And I adore the fact that though highly sophisticated and smart, they still find fart jokes funny.The short answer would be: I have a creepy old man crush on Craig Ferguson. Plus Fluffy the Unicorn was already taken.

J: We all have got one of those (Hugh Laurie here). Speaking of which, if you end up a big shot hollywood photographer, what would you work on?
D: I don't know if anyone ever did something like this, but I would really like to see a campaign featuring celebrities without any enhancement. No make-up, no hair extensions, no photoshop, in a simple white tshirt and jeans. I love spontaneous photos and minimalistic style, too. And animals. 
J: This is actually an awesome idea, but scary...
D: Can you imagine Lady Gaga in jeans, chucks and a white tank top with her natural hair in a ponytail? Such a perverted image.

J: (Laughs) Imaging Desperate Housewives crew and Sex and the city ladies.
J: How did you recognize your talent in crafting and photographing?
D: You're just too nice, people will be dissapointed if they come to check out my blog. :D I don't know, there hasn't really been a big milestone or anything. I've always loved photography, I used to waste a lot of rolls of film when I was little running around our garden taking pictures of snails on the concrete. Plus my paternal grandfather who died long before I was born was also a big photography aficionado so I inherited many photos and old cameras from him. Maybe not having a chance to actually know him made me interested in the things he liked. He was crafty, too. And I always loved the little craft projects in kindergarten and elementary. 

J: What about baking?
D: For the baking... I guess loving to eat up all things sweet gave me a big push. :) But I think for me it started the other way around. First I got interested in food photography which led me to the preparing part. Plus the cooking channel.
J: Yes! The cooking channels, your other creepy crush for Jamie Oliver.
D: Come on! He's awesome! And those baby blue eyes..

J: (Laughs) I prefer green after all.. What about your humour and wit?
D: For the humour...I guess I was just born this way.:D I remember when I was about 12 or so I used the watch a taped show on VHS of a Hungarian late comedian, GÈza Hofi, almost every afternoon after school. He was intelligent, wise and piss-your-pants funny. 
J: I was watching Mr. men everyday.. Do you ever get in trouble with that humour?
D: Hmm... I won't say trouble, but sometimes after I say something sarcastic and people don't get it I just end up looking like an idiot. 

J: I feel your pain.. I feel you... sobs* It gets lonely when they don't get your jokes.. Whats your inspiration?
D: Everything. A photograph. A song. A good movie or a TV show. Nature. The Internet. A crack in the pavement. Anything. 
J: Such an artist... I would love to see through your eyes just for one day... 
Chimney cake/ K¸rtıskal·cs (description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kürtőskalács)

This pastry originates from Transylvania and it's very popular here in Hungary. You can get it at festivals, funfairs, at the beach, and even from carts on the street. It's usually made in an open fire, so it naturally won't be the same when made at home, it's still pretty tasty and I think it looks really cute. 
750 g flour
2 eggs
100 g melted butter
200 ml milk
30 g yeast
100 g sugar
zest of a lemon
1 tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

For rolling (in the deeeeeep): 
oil 
1-2 egg, beaten
coconut flakes
vanilla sugar
cinnamon sugar 
ground/chopped walnut, pecans...etc

0. Collect toilet paper rolls. It might take some weeks. Cover them up in aluminium foil.
1. Dissolve the yeast in 100 ml warm milk (not hot) with a pinch of powdered sugar.

2. Combine all ingredients and knead the dough until it forms a ball that doesn't stick to the hand. Add more milk if dough doesn't come together. Cover it up and let it double in size about 1 to 2 hours.
3. When the dough rises, roll it out to about 0.5 cm thick. Try to keep dough in a round shape, then, cut it in a spiral manner. 
4.Grease the aluminium rolls with some oil. Roll the dough strips along the outsides of the aluminium roll. Line the layers as closely as possible, even to overlap. Roll the dough layers in the middle of the aluminium rolls, leaving the ends of the roll clean. This will ease sliding the pastry off when they're done.
5. Coat the little chimneys with beaten egg using a pastry brush and roll them in preferred topping. 

6. Bake at 200C for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cover with a cloth so they won't dry out. As most yeast dough pastries, they are best eaten fresh. 
If you ever visit Hungary, don't forget to try it. You'll thank me.
I wanna thank Jesi for giving me this opportunity and for the constant ego-boosts and messages. Everyday I check my e-mail account more times than it would be considered healthy just to see if she wrote me. Finding someone who is from the opposite side of the world, yet more like me than most of my peers here was an amazing experience and for that I would cherish the Internet forever. Plus she's sent me candies. 
Diana mentioned that this pastry is like a combination of donut and pastry. Can you imagine that? Also, let's not forget to wish our Mrs F here a Happy Birthday!
To Diana: You are awesome, enough said! Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday,
Diana & Jes

30 comments:

  1. Nice interview! And nice to be introduced to Mrs. Ferguson. Some of my wife's ancestors are from Transylvania - I'll have to save this recipe and make it some day (or persuade her to - she's the better baker). Really nice recipe (and post!) - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Kitchen Riffs: You will love her blog! And her wit.. :D I would love to try this as well, but am pretty sure will mess it up!!

      Delete
  2. A simply gorgeous guest post my friend, thank you so much for introducing me to the blog Mrs Ferguson :D
    Tghese photos look beautiful and very delicious!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Guru Uru: You'd adore her blog, i bet! :D and her pictures!

      Delete
  3. These are way cool! What an awesome idea, and a fun interview. I'll be sure to check out her blog as well! Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Liz: Thank you! I wish I am a radio talk show host. But I'm sure it'll be boring. :D

      Delete
  4. These are great! The interview is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ WokandSpoon: Thank you! We had fun preparing it!

      Delete
  5. Wow. Chimney cakes. I had no idea what I was missing. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ spphistimom: One of the things a big world provides is what we're missing out on...

      Delete
  6. Love this! What a fun post and a great recipe to it. Pinning it and would love to try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Shumaila: Thank you! I would want to try it too! :D

      Delete
  7. These look so good. I haven't seen anything quite like it before. I cannot wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Emily: Same here! Santa would be stuck in it and nom his way out :D

      Delete
  8. These look delicious - I'm going to have to try them! I love that they're baked and not fried:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Sarah: I'm dying to try them too!!! Baked or Fried (actually) :p

      Delete
  9. Loved the interview! (Happy belated Birthday to Mrs F!)
    These chimney cakes are adorable too! The name alone would be enough to draw me in. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos and great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful and delicious post. These pastries look like delightful morning treat...perfect with a cup of coffee. You both have wonderful sites. Please do visit soon! Blessings to both, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Catherine: Thank you! She does have incredible pictures ;p

      Delete
  12. Just wanna say thanks for everyone, you are all very nice and make me smile :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried these tasty treats in Prague and fell in love! I've been searching all over for an easy recipe since the ones I ate were cooked over an open coal stove. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Alex: I've never had these but I'm very very excited when I heard they taste a little like doughnuts and pastry in one bite. Mrs Ferguson at http://mrs-ferguson.blogspot.com wrote this recipe and she would be very happy to help :D I hope it turns out well!

      Delete
  14. I've had these in Hungary and they are amazing - can't wait to try to make them myself! Keep up the good work, Mrs F - and great interview, Jes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I truely loved this interview.... I also LOVE chimney cakes or Kurtoskalacs... I have found some fab images on this web page www.kurtos-kalacs.com for those who are interested in the product and want to know more.... For those who have never tasted the pastrys... you are missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not surprisingly, I first tried these chimney cakes in Budapest. I followed my nose to a tiny shop selling them, still steaming, out of a storefront window. I spent 20 minutes watching the baker roll, spiral, and spin the Kürtőskalács (any help on pronouncing the Hungarian name appreciated), pantomiming to get permission to photograph the process (pictures are on my blog). Soft on the inside, caramelized like a good creme brulee on the outside, these might be the best street food I've ever eaten. Excited to now have a recipe I can make at home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...